A Fire Inspection Checklist For Property Owners
As a business owner, facility, or property manager, referencing to the following fire inspection checklist prepared by Regional Fire and Security Systems will help verify the safety and security of your property and occupants. More importantly, it will enhance your awareness of fire safety and its effective and immediate means to protect lives and property.
However, in this checklist, you will find that some of the items may be handled internally, while others require a certified fire alarm technician. Follow our checklist to ensure that you are doing what is necessary to mitigate the threat of fire emergencies.
1. Is your fire alarm system being maintained as per ULC and Ontario Fire Codes?
2. Are you maintaining your fire sprinkler system according to NFPA 25 and Ontario Fire Codes, and following your insurance company’s requirements?
3. Are your stored items being housed in accordance with the Ontario Fire Code?
4. Are your fire extinguishers being inspected consistently under NFPA 10?
5. Are you safely storing flammable materials away from combustibles?
6. Does your facility have a current and approved Fire Safety Plan in place, and are you trained on the evacuation process in the event of an emergency?
7. Is your Fire Safety Plan kept in an approved Fire Safety Plan Box?
8. Are all your fire extinguishers suitable for different types of fires, and are they mounted, accessible, and visible?
9. Are all employees and personnel trained on the proper use of your portable fire extinguishers?
10. Is the area around your property’s fire hydrant free from obstacles, debris, and vegetation, and has it been inspected within the last 12-months?
11. Can you quickly and efficiently provide the last two years of fire inspection records?
12. In the event of a fire in your garbage bin, is it located at a safe distance from any combustible building structures?
If you answered “no” or are unsure about the answer to any of these questions, we encourage you to consult with a qualified fire safety professional. They will enable you to bring your processes up to safety standards to meet code compliance, and to minimize the risk of potential harm to occupants and property.
If you have any concerns about fire safety or you’re looking for a fire alarm and security system company to help facilitate the fire safety inspection on your building, reach out to the experts at Regional Fire and Security Systems serving businesses across the Greater Toronto Area. Our inspections and maintenance contracts are based on the requirements of applicable NFPA, ULC, Ontario Fire Code, and Ontario Building Codes. We use complete checklists to ensure a thorough review and a track record of excellence.
Currently, we serve clients across the Greater Toronto Area, including the Regions of Halton, Peel, York, Durham, as well as Simcoe and Muskoka.
To learn more about our services, please click here. If you have any questions about fire protection or safety or want to discuss our fire inspection checklist, we’d love to hear from you. Please contact us here.